Frequently Asked Questions
Why does Bird River Bible Camp give priority to Southland families and campers?
BRBC is a ministry of Southland Church, and as such is a key component of our plan to disciple Southland kids and students. As a result, we want to make sure that as many Southland families as possible have a chance to send their kids to Southland’s camp. This is difficult when every year we fill up quickly and have to put campers on a waiting list, thus we give Southland attendees first priority in registering their children.
Why does it cost more for someone who isn’t a Southland attendee to send their child to BRBC?
Each year we use money set aside for missions to subsidize campers who want to go to camp. The price a non-Southlander pays more accurately reflects the actual cost per camper to attend.
Location & Map
Bird River Bible Camp is located approximately 1 hour and 45 minutes north-east of Steinbach near Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba.
Directions from Steinbach:
- Drive North on HWY 12 past Ste. Anne towards Beausejour
- Turn right on HWY 215 (signs for Beausejour)
- Drive through Beausejour onto HWY 44
- At Seddons Corner, turn left onto HWY 214 (signs for Lac du Bonnet)
- Turn left on HWY 11 (signs for Lac du Bonnet)
- Drive past Lac du Bonnet
- Turn right onto HWY 313 (signs for Pointe de Bois)
- Turn left onto HWY 315 (signs for Nopiming Provincial Park)
- Camp is about 15 km past the Nopiming Provincial Park turn-off. There is a large camp sign on the right-hand side of the road.
*Note: If you find yourself on the bridge that crosses Bird River, you have gone too far.
What activities are offered at Bird River Camp?
Canoeing & Kayaking
Water Sports (tubing, kneeboarding, wakeboarding, waterskiing)
Arts and Crafts
BMX and Mountain Biking
Other exciting elements of a week of camp include – Chapel and devos, group games, cabin fun, worship and spiritual encouragement, team development, firesides and more!
Can my child request a friend to be in their cabin?
Campers are grouped in cabins based on gender as well as table or cell group at church and age.
Campers may request to be in the same cabin with a friend. It is important for both campers to make the request on their application form. We will try to accommodate these requests to the best of our ability.
Is transportation available to and from camp?
The bus ride to and from camp is included in the fee for campers. A coach taking registered campers to camp will be leaving from Southland Church on the first day of each camp (time to be announced). A coach will be returning to Southland Church on the last day of each camp (time to be announced). Please indicate on the registration form as to whether or not your child will be taking this form of transportation.
Who should I make my cheques payable to?
Make cheques payable to Southland Church.
What is your cancellation policy?
If cancellation is made up to TWO WEEKS prior to the camp session, refund of the fee minus deposit of $50 will be given. If LESS THAN TWO WEEKS prior to camp session, there is NO REFUND except for medical emergencies. No refunds will be given for campers who withdraw from camp for any reason during the camp session, or who are sent home for disciplinary or medical reasons.
What if I can’t come up with the funds to send my child(ren) to camp?
To help alleviate camp costs, Southland offers numerous fundraisers before the camping season starts.
For more information, see our Fundraiser page
What to Pack
What should my child(ren) bring to camp?
Packing for camp can be challenging. Here is a list of some items you don’t want to forget to bring – and a list of what should stay at home!
- Bible, notebook & pen
- Any clothes needed (T-shirts, sweatshirts, jacket, rain gear, underwear, socks, pajamas, hat, etc.)
- Appropriate swimwear
Girls – No bikinis or short tankinis allowed
Boys – No speedos allowed
- Toiletries (toothbrush, toothpaste, washcloth, soap, towel, brush, shampoo, etc.)
- Bedding (pillow, blanket/sheet or sleeping bag)
- Beach towel, sunscreen, insect repellant
- Runners or hiking shoes
- Water bottle
- Optional: Camera, flashlight, favourite book
- Non-prescription medications of any kind
- Tobacco, alcohol or other illegal substances
- Matches, lighters
- Fireworks of any kind (including fire crackers)
- Gum or sunflower seeds
- Discmans, iPods, radios, cell phones or other electronic gear
- Pocket knives or other weapons
- Expensive jewelry
- Clothing and/or swimwear that is immodest or has offensive language/pictures on it
*Note that the camp/church is not responsible for lost, damaged or stolen items!
Health, Safety & Medication
What kind of medical care is available for my child while at camp?
What if my child has food allergies or special dietary needs?
We are able to accommodate special requests based on dietary needs. Please ensure that we know about any food allergies or special diets your child has at least 2 weeks prior to their camp session.
ContactBreanna Epp Camp Registrar & General Inquiries (204) 326-9020 ext. 303 firstname.lastname@example.org